Microscope Cleaning, Maintenance and Adjustment (1301)
COURSE OUTLINE & SYLLABUS
Course schedule: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., both days
The student will be introduced to how the microscope works, various schools of thought on lens cleaning, how to adjust for proper illumination (Köhler Illumination) and tricks of the trade. The student will return home with a manual and a working knowledge of how to clean and adjust the microscope. Lectures will be followed by hands-on adjustment and cleaning.
Students are encouraged to bring their own microscopes to class.
There is no prerequisite for this course.
• Introduction and course overview
• Microscope parts, guts & bolts
• Cleaning optics
• Microscope set-up and Köhler illumination
• Image quality and lens aberrations
• Troubleshooting to localize dirt
• Hands-on cleaning and maintenance
• Dovetail slides, racks & pinions
• Advanced considerations